The Patrol Division is the backbone of the Shawnee Police Department. The Division is led by one Major and two Captains. Patrol Sergeants and Patrol Officers are divided between three different shifts which provide 24-hour police services to the City of Shawnee.
The primary duties of the Patrol Officers in the division are:
- Responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Routine patrol of assigned geographical areas
- Enforcement of state and federal laws, the municipal code, and city traffic and parking regulations
- Traffic accident investigations
- Community relations
- Business and residence checks
The Patrol Division includes the following Special Assignment Units and Officers:
- Traffic Safety Unit (TSU)
- Criminal Interdiction Unit (CIU)
- Community Service Officers - Animal Control (CSO)
- Community Outreach Relations and Engagement (CORE)
The Criminal Interdiction Unit was created for specialized policing, and is comprised of 1 sergeant, 4 officers, and 3 K9 handlers. The role of this unit is to focus on community presence and community crime prevention, alcohol and narcotic enforcement, narcotic and bomb detection, problem solving, and warrant service.
The Community Outreach Relations and Engagement (CORE) Officer was implemented to work collaboratively with, and coordinate the efforts of, the entire police department to implement crime prevention strategies and tactics while building positive relationships with the community.
CORE Officer Madrigal can be reached at email@example.com or 913-742-6859.
The Patrol Division Commander oversees the Police Department’s Special Tactics and Response (STAR) Team. The STAR Team is an on-call tactical unit comprised of Police Officers from every Division of the Police Department. The team is divided into four areas of responsibility:
- Crisis Negotiations
- Team/Incident Support