The Patrol Division is the backbone of the Shawnee Police Department. The Division is led by one Major and two Captains. Patrol Sergeants and Patrol Officers are divided between three different shifts which provide 24-hour police services to the City of Shawnee.
The primary duties of the Patrol Officers in the division are:
- Responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Routine patrol of assigned geographical areas
- Enforcement of state and federal laws, the municipal code, and city traffic and parking regulations
- Traffic accident investigations
- Community relations
- Business and residence checks
The Patrol Division includes the following Special Assignment Units and Officers:
The Criminal Interdiction Unit was created for specialized policing, and is comprised of 1 sergeant and 6 officers. The role of this unit is to focus on community presence and community crime prevention, alcohol and narcotic enforcement, problem solving, and warrant service.
The Patrol Division Commander oversees the Police Department’s Special Tactics and Response (STAR) Team. The STAR Team is an on-call tactical unit comprised of Police Officers from every Division of the Police Department. The team is divided into four areas of responsibility:
- Crisis Negotiations
- Team/Incident Support