If you want to know more about utilizing solar energy collection systems, here is a quick guide on how to get started.
Step 1. Is my property right for solar panels?
Step 2. Check the local requirements for installing solar panels
- Solar energy collection systems are permitted in all zoning districts in the city limits of Shawnee with approval of permits. The City does not protect nor guarantee a property owner’s access to sunlight.
- If you live in an area with a homeowner's association, verify that solar panels are allowed and if additional approvals are required, like from an Architectural Review Committee.
- Solar panels may be roof-mounted or ground-mounted in all zoning districts. Panels may also be mounted on parking lot light poles.
- Site Plan approval by the Planning Commission is required in certain circumstances within commercial and industrial zoning districts.
- Height and setback requirements vary depending on where the panels are mounted and whether in residential or commercial zoning districts.
- See Zoning Regulations Section 17.80.200. Solar Energy Collection Systems
Step 3. Get quotes from multiple installers
Step 4. Permitting/Installation
Building permits are required prior to installation of solar panels.
The installer should assist you in obtaining all building permits and inspections.
The City's Codes Division provides documents you will need to have on file and that help guide your process. See links to documents below.
Solar Ready Construction Guidelines
Permit checklist (required to be included with your application)
Mid-America Regional Council Consumer Guide to Solar
Kansas City Power & Light Solar Information
Westar Energy Solar Information
Database of Renewable and Efficiency Policies and Incentives
Contact our Codes Division by email or at (913) 742-6014.