City Council meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. held at Shawnee City Hall, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, Kansas.
The City Council meeting begins with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a Moment of Silence. There is a fixed agenda for the Council meeting. You may speak on any item after the Mayor’s request for questions from the audience. To allow the meeting to move smoothly, the Mayor requests that you observe the following courtesies should you wish to participate.
The Governing Body welcomes your comments and appreciates your cooperation.
Printable: Public Comment at City Meetings Brochure
- When addressing the Governing Body, please speak from the podium using the microphone. This will ensure that all public remarks are properly recorded. No more than one speaker should be at the podium at one time.
- Please clearly state your name and address the first time you begin speaking at any session, and repeat your name each time you return to the podium during the same meeting.
- All comments should be directed to the Mayor.
- Business from the Floor is intended for residents to discuss matters that directly involve City government business, but do not appear on the agenda. This item usually follows Council Items on the agenda.
- Please keep your comments brief. Comments should be tailored so as not to exceed five (5) minutes. In the event of extensive audience participation, the Mayor may further limit speaking time to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to address the meeting.
- Please do not clap or poll the audience (by the show of hands) during the discussion of an issue.
- If you have printed materials to present to the Governing Body, please give them to the City Clerk, who will see that they are distributed to the members. Additional copies should also be provided to the media, who are allowed access by State law to receive a copy of any materials presented to the Governing Body.