Motorized Scooters
    Cell Phones
    Locked keys in Car
    Civil Stand-By
    Child Custody Exchange

    Motorized ScootersMotorized Scooters?

      As of March 1, 2004, the Shawnee Police Department started enforcing traffic laws relating to the operation of motorized scooters on City streets and sidewalks. Motorized scooters are a skateboard-like design equipped with a small gas or battery powered motor and handlebars extending upright. Some have seats and some do not. These scooters typically sell for $100 to $500. Motorized scooters should not be confused with mopeds or Vespa-type vehicles.

    Is Hunting prohibited in Shawnee?

      Yes. However, the Municipal Code does allow target or practice shooting on agriculturally zoned property of at least 20 acres, if the target shooting occurs at a reasonable time, at least 500 feet from any building, with a backstop, and limited to shotguns, pistols, air guns, or bows and arrows with bludgeoned tips.

    Use of Cell Phone While Driving?

      As of January 1, 2011, it is prohibited to "write, send or read a written communication" while driving. This includes text messages, instant messages, email, and further.

      A copy of the statute is as follows:

      *2012 Kansas Statutes
      8-15,111. Text messaging, prohibited; exceptions.
      (a) As used in this section:
        (1) "Wireless communication device" means any wireless electronic communication device that provides for voice or data communication between two or more parties, including, but not limited to, a mobile or cellular telephone, a text messaging device, a personal digital assistant that sends or receives messages, an audio-video player that sends or receives messages or a laptop computer. "Wireless communication device" does not include a device which is voice-operated and which allows the user to send or receive a text based communication without the use of either hand, except to activate or deactivate a feature or function.
        (2) "Write, send or read a written communication" means using a wireless communication device to manually type, send or read a written communication, including, but not limited to, a text message, instant message or electronic mail.
      (b) Except as provided in subsections (c) and (d), no person shall operate a motor vehicle on a public road or highway while using a wireless communications device to write, send or read a written communication.
      (c) The provisions of subsection (b) shall not apply to:
        (1) A law enforcement officer or emergency service personnel acting within the course and scope of the law enforcement officer's or emergency service personnel's employment;
        (2) a motor vehicle stopped off the regular traveled portion of the roadway;
        (3) a person who reads, selects or enters a telephone number or name in a wireless communications device for the purpose of making or receiving a phone call;
        (4) a person who receives an emergency, traffic or weather alert message; or
        (5) a person receiving a message related to the operation or navigation of the motor vehicle.
      (d) The provisions of subsection (b) shall not prohibit a person from using a wireless communications device while operating a moving motor vehicle to:
        (1) Report current or ongoing illegal activity to law enforcement;
        (2) prevent imminent injury to a person or property; or
        (3) relay information between transit or for-hire operator and the operator's dispatcher, in which the device is permanently affixed to the motor vehicle.
      (e) From and after the effective date of this act and prior to January 1, 2011, a law enforcement officer shall issue a warning citation to anyone violating subsection (b).
      (f) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the uniform act regulating traffic on highways.
      History: L. 2010, ch. 151, 2; July 1.

      However, there is no State law or City ordinance prohibiting talking on cell phones while driving. For teens, the use of cell phones while driving is prohibited until completion of the six month period of passenger and late-night driver restrictions. Like any other distraction in a vehicle, proper care should be taken when using a cell phone while the vehicle is in motion.

      Although officers will not stop someone for simply talking on the phone, motorists will be stopped for operating a vehicle in such a manner as to indicate a careless or heedless disregard for the rights or safety of others, or in such a manner as to endanger any person or property. The operation of a motor vehicle in this manner constitutes Careless Driving, which is a violation of City ordinance and State law.
      Should you have any questions, contact a Patrol Watch Commander at (913) 742-6896 or (913) 742-6891.

    If I lock my keys in my car, will the police open my car?

      Police officers will only attempt to unlock a vehicle if there is an immediate danger, such as a child or animal locked inside. The more technologically advanced cars become, the more difficult it becomes to unlock them. Vehicles with electric locks are more likely to be damaged with "slim jims." Police officers have also been killed from a vehicle's side air bag deploying while attempting to unlock it. The best bet is to contact a locksmith immediately. (If there is a child locked inside the car, Key Retrievers, Inc., (816) 592-6736 will unlock your vehicle FREE of charge.) Most auto clubs and insurance companies cover lockout expenses. Check with your insurance agent.

    Can the police help me if I have left my spouse and am living elsewhere and need to get my belongings?

      Police officers will conduct a "civil stand-by." Two police officers will accompany you while you are at the residence to keep the peace. The police officers cannot get into matters dealing with what property belongs to whom. These issues are civil matters that have to be handled in the Civil Division of the Johnson County Court. Shawnee police officers can stand-by for a short period of time, while a person gets the basics such as clothes, toiletries, etc. Police officers cannot stand-by while a person completely moves out of their residence.

      It should be noted that, in the event where one party has placed a protection or no contact order on the other, any contact between the two parties is a violation of that order. If such order is in place, our law enforcement officers will not assist in a civil standby.

    Will the Police Assist in Child Custody Exchanges?
      Dating back to August of 2006, it has been the desire of the Judges of the Johnson County District Court that all supervised child exchanges be conducted under the guidance of the Johnson County Court Services.

      Since that date, it has been the intent of the Shawnee Police Department to honor the wishes of the Johnson County District Court and to refer requests for supervised child custody exchanges back to the courts. Civil standbys for child custody exchanges were only to be held on individual, emergency case-by-case situations where there was an immediate and imminent risk of danger for those involved.

      The Shawnee Police Department does not send officers to stand by for routinely scheduled civil child custody exchanges. If one or more parties involved in the civil child custody exchange believe that their exchange requires supervision, the exchanges are to be held at the Johnson County Court Services center in Olathe.

      The Johnson County Court Services center does not schedule civil child custody exchanges without an order from the District Court. Citizens wishing to take advantage of the supervised exchange program must contact the Judge that issued their child custody paperwork. The Judge will then amend the paperwork allowing the supervised exchanges to take place at the Johnson County Court Services Center.

      The Johnson County Court Services Center is located at 18505 W. 119 St, Olathe KS, 66061. For more information about the supervised child custody exchange program, the Johnson County Court Services center can be reached at (913) 715-7400, or through their website, courts.jocogov.org.