According to Shawnee Municipal Code Chapter 8.20, the burning of residential yard waste is allowed only by permit. After obtaining a permit, the following guidelines must be observed when burning:
- Burning is allowed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- All fires must be completely extinguished by 2:00 p.m.
- All burning must take place in the rear yard
The following safety rules must also be observed when burning:
- Burn only when the wind speed is between 5 to 15 m.p.h.
- Fires must be attended by a responsible person.
- Always have a charged garden hose and tools ready.
- No burning within 25 feet of any structure or vehicle.
- Burn piles must not be larger than 15’ in diameter.
Burning permits can be obtained at the Shawnee Fire Department, 6501 Quivira, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The fee is $10.00 for each one-day permit. The City will waive the fee for any resident 62 years of age or older. You can reach the Shawnee Fire Department by E-Mail or call (913) 631-1080.